Reduce fine lines and wrinkles, reveal a more youthful you.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a non-surgical treatment that reduces the appearance of facial lines and wrinkles. It is specifically designed to treat dynamic wrinkles, or those that appear with repeated muscle contraction. Over time, as we continuously raise our eyebrows and furrow our forehead, the lines associated with these movements become more and more visible.
The BOTOX® Cosmetic formula is a natural, purified protein generated by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. It is administered straight into the overactive muscles in the face, blocking the nerve impulses that cause muscle contractions. This prevents the muscles from contracting and creating lines and wrinkles. The protein does not travel elsewhere in the body; this procedure has been widely tested and is approved by the FDA for cosmetic use.
Common treatment areas for BOTOX® Cosmetic include:
- Glabella (between eyebrows): the wrinkles and creases between the eyebrows can make a person look angry. Treatment can soften these lines
- Forehead lines: horizontal forehead lines and wrinkles can be addressed and targeting the injections in specific areas can even lift your eyebrows if desired (BOTOX® Brow Lift)
- Crow’s Feet (around the eyes): the fine lines around your eyes can be softened, giving the patient a more rested, youthful look
- Mouth: dynamic lines around the mouth, often times a combination of dermal fillers or laser resurfacing is needed to fully address these lines
- Neck (platysma): cords or banding in the neck
- Jaw (masseter): injections into the masseter muscle, the muscle responsible for chewing, can alleviate the symptoms of TMJ due to excessive clenching or nighttime grinding
The treatment, which consists of only a few small injections, takes approximately 15-20 minutes depending on the area. It does not require anesthesia or a significant amount of downtime or recovery. During the procedure, any discomfort– similar to a bug bite– is minimal and brief, and there are generally no significant side effects. Patients are normally able to return instantly to work or normal activity.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is suitable for both men and women and they typically begin to see improvement in their appearance within the first few days after treatment. The full effect can take up to two weeks, with results lasting a few months before needing additional treatment.